Thursday, March 8, 2012

Rare Finds


One of my favorite plant catalogs arrived in the mail today - Rare Find Nursery.  With gorgeous pictures and very detailed descriptions, it's like walking through a specialty nursery right from my desk.

As one of my winter projects, I have been reworking the front entry to our home, creating two new planting areas (and of course, giving me an excuse to re-plan the rest of the front garden).  Lucky me, I have part-sun, part-shade giving me many options for experimenting with some unusual perennials.  With gray fieldstone as a backdrop, I'm considering some plant colors I wouldn't normally combine such as the orange daylily Hemerocallis 'Barnegat Bittersweet Eyes' and Solidago sphacelata 'Golden Fleece.'  Adding something medium purple (the complementary color to orange) like Liatris pycnostachya and Allium spp. could prove to be quite stunning.
Hemerocallis 'Barnegat Bittersweet Eyes'

Solidago sphacelata 'Golden Fleece'
 
Liatris pycnostachya
Allium spp.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of Spring today, and it made me remember this beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete