Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Winter That Never Was

Now in the end of February, we haven't seen snow since October. The daffodils are blooming and the tulips are up out of the ground as though it is mid-April. I'm not complaining, but I haven't had my "slow months" to catch up, plan and write. As a landscape designer, I count on the cold nasty winter days to reflect and refresh before diving into the busy spring and summer seasons. Rather than completed, my winter projects - including my own garden changes - are still brewing in my mind.




Adding Vaccinum corymbosum, or Highbush Blueberry, to my own garden has been percolating in my brain these days, and not just to have a bushel of juicy berries to make a yummy crisp. This native plant also offers sweet flowers in spring and brilliant fall color. It can take a little shade in the garden, too.




But absolutely keep it away from the deer - they love the berries as much as I do!



No comments:

Post a Comment